DIABETES & ALCOHOL
- If you have diabetes, ask your doctor if you should drink alcohol.
- Limit alcohol drinks to 2 or fewer per day for women and 3 or fewer per day for men.
- One standard drink is 100 ml wine, 30 mls spirits or 300 mls beer. This is less than most glasses will hold.
- Aim to have several alcohol free days each week.
- Use diet drinks as mixes for spirits, not "ready to drink" premixes.
- Have food with alcohol and never drink on an empty stomach.
- Alcohol is high in calories so may contribute to weight gain.