You are here:
About Diabetes New Zealand
Established in 1962, Diabetes New Zealand is a non-government non-profit organisation that represents and supports people affected by diabetes by:
- Providing local support for people affected by diabetes.
- Acting as an advocate for people affected by diabetes.
- Raising awareness of diabetes, especially interventions that will prevent Type 2 diabetes or reduce diabetes complications.
- Educating and informing people about diabetes, its treatment, management and control.
- Supporting research into the treatment, prevention and cure of diabetes.
Diabetes New Zealand has a National Office (based in Wellington) and 22 Branches across the country. Branches provide local support and information for people affected by diabetes.
Diabetes New Zealand is funded by members' fees, donations, grants and bequests. The Lottery Grants Board kindly provides assistance towards employing staff and Government agencies provide targeted funding for specific initiatives and programmes.
Diabetes New Zealand is a member of the Western Pacific Region of the International Diabetes Federation (IDF), a membership organisation for all diabetes consumer groups throughout the world.
Diabetes New Zealand publishes Diabetes, a professionally produced quarterly magazine which is distributed to approximately 17,500 people, including members of Diabetes New Zealand and health professionals.
The Board makes strategic and governance decisions for the organisation.
- Chris Baty (President)
- Patrick Waite (Chair, independent member)
- Elizabeth Hickey (Deputy Chair, independent member)
- Rae Ah Chee (from the Advisory Council)
- Karen Reed (from the Advisory Council)
- Deb Connor (from the Advisory Council)
- Hayden Vink (from the Advisory Council)
- Jo Fitzpatrick (independent member)
Advisory Council Members
The Advisory Council is a dedicated group of persons whose overriding mission is to find out how we can improve life at the local level, and better meet the needs of people affected by diabetes.
- Chris Baty (President)
- Pat Bent (Vice President)
- Hayden Vink (representing the youth sector appointed from Diabetes Youth NZ)
- Deb Connor (Lower South Island Regional Hub representative)
- Murray Dear (Upper North Island Regional Hub Representative)
- Chris Warren (Lower North Island Regional Hub Representative)
- Gina Berghan (representing the Maori sector of the diabetes population)
- Rachel (Lesieli) O’Brien (representing the Pacifica sector of the diabetes population)
- Dr John Wilson (appointed by the NZ Society for the Study of Diabetes)
- Rae Ah Chee (elected member)
- Karen Reed (elected member)
Sir Eion Edgar
Lady Norma Beattie
Join Diabetes New Zealand today!
By joining Diabetes New Zealand you’ll have the support to take charge of your own health and improve your wellbeing. Your membership will also make a real difference for others affected by diabetes.
As a member you will receive free home delivery of Diabetes magazine with healthy recipes, latest research, tips on lifestyle and wellbeing. You are also able to access services from your local Branch and others in your community who understand diabetes.
Click here to join Diabetes New Zealand!
Diabetes New Zealand gratefully acknowledges the ongoing support of our special sponsors.