You are here:
About Diabetes New Zealand
Established in 1962, Diabetes New Zealand is a non-government non-profit organisation that represents and supports people affected by diabetes.
Our vision: Diabetes: Contained, Controlled, Cured
Our Mission: That every person with diabetes in New Zealand has the support needed to live full and active lives
To achieve our vision and mission we:
- Raise awareness of diabetes
- Provide information and support to help people live well with diabetes
- Help people at risk of type 2 diabetes prevent or delay its development
- Advocate for better services
- Encourage and support research into diabetes
Diabetes New Zealand has a National Office (based in Wellington) and 22 Branches across the country. Branches provide local support and information for people affected by diabetes.
Diabetes New Zealand is mainly funded by members' fees, donations, grants and bequests.
Diabetes New Zealand is a member of the International Diabetes Federation, a membership organisation for all diabetes consumer groups throughout the world.
Prior to October 2012, Diabetes NZ National Office and local Branches (then called Societies) were legally separate organisations; however, in early 2012 the vast majority of Branches voted to come together as one unified organisation, and in October 2012 this happened. This was one of the biggest and most exciting achievements for our organisation.
The Board makes strategic and governance decisions for the organisation.
- Chris Baty (President)
- Patrick Waite (Chair, independent member)
- Elizabeth Hickey (Deputy Chair, independent member)
- Rae Ah Chee (from the Advisory Council)
- Karen Reed (from the Advisory Council)
- Deb Connor (from the Advisory Council)
- Gina Berghan (from the Advisory Council)
- Jo Fitzpatrick (independent member)
Advisory Council Members
The Advisory Council is a dedicated group of persons whose overriding mission is to find out how we can improve life at the local level, and better meet the needs of people affected by diabetes.
- Chris Baty (President)
- Pat Bent (Vice President)
- Renata Porter (representing the youth sector appointed from Diabetes Youth NZ)
- Deb Connor (Lower South Island Regional Hub representative)
- Murray Dear (Upper North Island Regional Hub Representative)
- Chris Warren (Lower North Island Regional Hub Representative)
- Gina Berghan (representing the Maori sector of the diabetes population)
- Sera Tapu-Taala (representing the Pacifica sector of the diabetes population)
- Dr John Wilson (appointed by the NZ Society for the Study of Diabetes)
- Rae Ah Chee (elected member)
- Karen Reed (elected member)
Sir Eion Edgar
Lady Norma Beattie
Join Diabetes New Zealand today!
By joining Diabetes New Zealand you’ll have the support to take charge of your own health and improve your wellbeing. Your membership will also make a real difference for others affected by diabetes.
As a member you will receive free home delivery of Diabetes magazine with healthy recipes, latest research, tips on lifestyle and wellbeing. You are also able to access services from your local Branch and others in your community who understand diabetes.
Click here to join Diabetes New Zealand!
Diabetes New Zealand gratefully acknowledges the ongoing support of our special sponsors.